Electrical/Power Systems Engineer
We are seeking a Mid to Senior level Electrical engineer interested in applying your technical skills to cutting edge electrical engineering and advanced power conversion research and development for U.S. Navy ship programs. You’ll be part of a cross-functional team that’s responsible for the full power and energy system development life cycle, from conception and design to integration and test.
You will lead detailed design activities for the next generation of high-power density, advanced shipboard electrical power converters. As an Electrical / Power Systems Engineer, you should be experienced with design / modeling / simulation of power converters, Silicon Carbide (SiC) power electronics, high frequency transformers, high power density power conversion, Medium Voltage DC and Medium Voltage AC design criteria and best practices, shipboard electrical power systems, instrumentation and control, power quality, power system testing, and energy storage systems. Familiarity with emerging MVDC standards and MIL-STD 1399-680/300B is a plus.
You will be joining a skilled team that constantly seeks to expand our knowledge and understanding, and leverages that knowledge to create solutions to our customers’ most challenging problems. As a member of the team, you will work in a collaborative environment across a variety of technical disciplines fostering innovation and continuous learning. If you’re the type that enjoys a challenge and always wants to know more, we’d like to meet you.
- Lead design activities for a multiyear Research, Development, Test and Evaluation program focused on design, prototyping, integration and testing of a MW level advanced shipboard power converter
- Lead power converter design and de-risking activities
- Assist Project Management team with developing a program plan and milestones that show orderly progression of design through incremental milestones and gates
- Knock down barriers and be a Program Champion of “Build a little, Test a lot”
- Collaborate with program stakeholders to develop interface control documents
- Conduct briefings with senior leadership on design progress and provide decision briefs as necessary
- Define performance objectives and take ownership of execution risk for the final design to meet top level requirements
- Work with project leads to ensure auxiliary and subsystems support top level requirements and performance objectives
- Coordinate with test leads to develop test plans and procedures, as well as laboratory power, cooling, and instrumentation requirements
- Write technical documentation
- Assist with troubleshooting, testing and integration
- B.S degree in Electrical Engineering is required (advanced degree preferred)
- Experience as lead designer for a power or power converter system, preferably on Navy platforms
- Ability to decompose complex power system challenges and deliver working solutions
- Experience working in a dynamic environment with multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience with modeling of complex power systems and conducting power hardware / controller hardware in the loop testing
- Excellent written and verbal communication and teamwork skills
- Great attention to detail
- Demonstrated problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Self-starter, with proven success on dedicated development teams leading to design, build and test of hardware
Cardinal Engineering is an equal opportunity employer. We offer industry-leading employee benefits and growth potential is limited only by the candidate’s ambition. Candidates must be US Citizens and be able to obtain Secret level DOD clearance. Starting salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.